Is envisioned to be the country’s premier award to recognize the major contribution that individuals, institutions, and organizations have made in moving forward the comprehensive Philippine peace process.
- Recognize and express appreciation for selected peace advocates, champions and exemplars for the critical roles they have played in achieving just and lasting peace for all;
- Highlight the accomplishments, milestones, and innovative peacebuilding programs that have been carried out in building on the gains of the comprehensive peace process;
- Set standards and present good peacebuilding practices that can be replicated and sustained; and
- Build, nurture and expand a peace constituency that will sustain a culture of peace and advance the national government’s peace agenda.
The Gawad Kapayapaan shall be open to peace partners from the government and non-government organizations, as well as civil society, with the following considerations:
- Focus on local peace stakeholders; leaders of the peace tables;
- Political implications; and the
- OPAPRU may also give a posthumous memorialization for individuals who have rendered significant contribution in the comprehensive peace process.
The Gawad Kapayapaan may expand its parameters and accommodate international awardees.
Awards under Individual Category:
- Gawad Kapayapaan Award for Youth
- Gawad Kapayapaan Award for Women
- Gawad Kapayapaan Award for Exemplary Peace Advocate
Awards under Group Category:
- Gawad Kapayapaan Award for National Government Agencies;
- Gawad Kapayapaan Award for Local Government Units;
- Gawad Kapayapaan Award for Civil Society Organizations
- Gawad Kapayapaan Award for Academe; and
- Gawad Kapayapaan Award for Private Institutions
- Filipino citizens based in the Philippines with good track record of at least three (3) years demonstrating innovative and verifiable peacebuilding programs that have contributed and made a positive impact on the peace process, and/or peace and development, and must have no criminal record/degoratory record in any NGAs, LGUs, CSOs, INGOs, etc;
- Must have conducted or organized program/s or project/s that are conflict-sensitive and peace-promoting, and gender-responsive with major accomplishments or milestones that have significantly contributed to or advanced peace and development and/or the peace process agenda preferably with various peace tables in the last 5 years. Peace tables include: Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF); Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF); Cordillera Bodong Administration-Cordillera Peoples’ Liberation Army (CBA-CPLA); Rebolusyunaryong Partido ng Manggagawa ng Pilipinas / Revolutionary Proletarian Army / Alex Boncayao Brigade (RPMP-RPA-ABB); and Localized Peace Engagements
- In particular, their peacebuilding efforts must have:
- Resulted in the creation or reform of political institutions to handle grievances that drive conflict;
- Contributed in building a stronger momentum for peace by enabling stakeholders and communities to develop their own peace initiatives in line with critical elements of context analysis;
- Empowered people to prevent situations of violence;
- Led to an increased sense of security among the people; and
- Resulted in the meaningful improvement of inter-group relations.
- The nominees must also have established significant and sustainable peace promoting models that can be replicated and sustained; and
- They must have an extensive and effective peace network, as well as a good standing with peace partners.
It shall come from the following:
- Officials of National Government Agencies involved in the implementation of peacebuilding initiatives or programs;
- Officials of Organizations with key thrusts on peacebuilding and are duly registered with competent authorities;
- Heads of academic institutions with established peace education courses or subjects or with peacebuilding initiative;
- Officials of Embassies in the Philippines and International Organizations supporting the peace process;
- Individuals who represent the sector being awarded; and
- Qualified nominators may also opt to nominate himself/herself or his or her organization for the Individual and/or Group Category.
Steps for Nomination
- Fill out the Gawad Kapayapaan Nomination Form;
- Submit the filled out nomination form starting March 30, 2023 until May 30, 2023 via email at email@example.com with the subject: GK 2023 Nomination – [Name of Nomination] or via courier at:
OPAPRU Central Receiving
5th Floor, Agustin I Building, F. Ortigas Jr. Rd.,
Ortigas Center, Pasig City
Or scan this QR code
For questions and clarifications, kindly reach the Gawad Kapayapaan Secretariat at +8636-0701 local 844 and look for Mr. Carl or Mr. Ian of the KMPIS (Knowledge Management and Peace Institute Services).